Friday, September 26, 2008

The weight that one man's soul must carry

I think I just became a Pink fan...

To be the President is a responsibility I cannot imagine. In these past 8 years, there has been a lot of venom shot in the direction of George W, as well as a lot of venom shot in the direction of those who oppose him. I have certainly added my fair share of the former. But at this point, I also can't help but feel a certain amount of heavy sorrow for him as well, which makes it easier to remember to pray for him and the burden he carries, and will carry with him for the rest of his life. A burden, I think, that would drive most men to suicide. When asking the question that is often asked (somewhat rhetorically) in election years, "are you better off now than you were 4 (or 8) years ago?", the answer that I think most of us would have to give makes the question almost offensive in the very asking of it. Some will disagree, and I certainly admit to bias...

Before George W. Bush was ever running for the office of President, I was already hardened against him. In the mid-90's, my views on the death penalty in America did a 180. I had always been for it, in theory, but after watching the true story Dead Man Walking, and (more importantly) reading the book by Sr. Helen Prejean, I realized I couldn't be anymore and still follow the path of Christ...(again, some of you will disagree). A guitar-slinging duo called The Indigo Girls brought to my awareness this then govenor of Texas, the state that held the record, if you will, for the most executions in the nation. One case in particular stuck in my throat, and that was the execution of Faye Tucker, which the Indigo Girls sang about on their "Come On Social" album. You can look up the details of that one for yourself, but if ever there was a mis-application of the state's right to kill, this was certainly it. And if anything could possibly be more disturbing that this execution, in my estimation it was the glibness and cocky / careless attitude of the Govenor of that state who maintains his certainty that everyone who was put to death under his watch was guilty and deserved what they got. And I think it is that glib cock-sure attitude at the fact of the death of others that made him stand out in my mind as especially repulsive. And then this man went and ran for president, and won, twice, and his presidency has been marked by some of the most senseless and unnecessary death in this nation's history. Although I am voting for Obama this election (in great part because his attitude and approach stand in stark contrast to our current President), I will feel a sense of relief regardless who gets into that office come January. McCain will not take war or death lightly the way Bush seems to have done, as though the war in Iraq is a great big video game...kind of fun...

And so, it is fitting to me that, on the musical front, this time is coming to an end with a song that the Indigo Girls helped out on. This is Pink's "Dear Mr. President", and, despite my "misgivings" of some of the sentiments expressed here, in my opinion it is one of the best "protest" songs of this era (an era I find surprisingly sparse in the kind of artistic expression this song gives voice to):

1 comment:

Steve H. said...

Brook,

I am also one who has done a 180 on the death penalty. I used to be for it, but now don't. When it comes down to it, I'm pro-life. I think that human life is precious and not to be taken lightly. I believe there may be times when taking a life is necessary (perhaps a cop stopping a gunman threatening the lives of others) but when we have the criminal and they can no longer hurt anyone, let them sit in prison, but don't kill them. Whether its a harded criminal or an unborn child, life should not be taken